POPULAR POSTS

Thursday, April 26, 2012

More on "Constructive Rest"

Greetings,

I posted this article a few months ago after attending an Alexander Technique Workshop presented by Rachel Niketopoulos and Pam Nelson for the Raleigh Area Flute Association.

Since then, I have held several workshops with my students at Rachel's Raleigh studio. I have seen great improvements in each student who participated in at least one of these workshops.

We begin each workshop with 20 minutes of Constructive Rest to allow adequate time for our vertebrae to realign and our discs (which act as shock absorbers) to rehydrate.

I am a longtime Alexander Technique student myself, but only recently I have come to acknowledge that "Constructive Rest" is possibly the most helpful practice technique for wind players to improve their tone and breathing. I learned this from watching my students improve!

 Check out this Guide to Constructive Rest on http://alexandertechnique.com.

Soprano Andrea Matthews has prepared a teaching handout on Constructive Rest.

I recently discovered another great Alexander Technique resource: Sarah Chatwin's Alexander Technique website and blog. Sarah offers a free e-course if you sign up for her email newsletter. I now look forward to my email reminders about all things "Alexander!"

Best,
Catherine

No comments: